***UPDATED – August, 15 2016***
Saddle Lake Cree Nation would like to thank all of our members for making it out to the voting booths and electing our new Council and invite our members to come out to the 2016 Chief’s election.
2016-2019 Elected Council Members:
Chief – Okimaw – Eddy Makokis – email@example.com
Pauline Hunter – firstname.lastname@example.org
Sam W. Cardinal – email@example.com
Robbie Moosewah – firstname.lastname@example.org
Leslie Steinhauer – email@example.com
Darrell Quinney – firstname.lastname@example.org
John Large- email@example.com
Terry Cardinal – firstname.lastname@example.org
Herb Cardinal- email@example.com
*Photos to come*
2016 ELECTION INFORMATION:
- Full Saddle Lake Cree Nation # 125 – Election Results (overall)
- Saddle Lake Cree Nation # 125 – Official Chief and Council Candidate List
- Saddle Lake Cree Nation # 125 – Elections and Voting Regulations Customary Code
- Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada/ Re: Community or Custom Leadership Selection Process
To call for an election:
The Chief & council set the date for nominations
(posted for two weeks) and commence voting ( two weeks later) as well as name the electoral officer.
The nominated members must meet all of the Customary Code qualifications in order for their names to stand:
The list of nominees nominated and seconded are posted in public areas
Of the 9 councillors who are elected – they must submit in writing to the electoral officer if they do not wish to have their name stand in the running for the Chief position.
The election for the Chief of the Saddle Lake Cree Nation takes place one week after the election of the Council.
The term for the Chief and Council of the Saddle Lake Cree Nation is three years
Council Meetings alternate weekly with :
1) Band Members Interviews: any member of the Nation can make an appointment to speak wth the Chief and Council.
2) Regular Council Meetings: programs and services, Band Business Band Council Resolutions
3) Federal Government updates and meetings
4) Industry up-dates from portfolio holders on areas of responsibility, boards and committees
The chief and council meet on a regular basis normally each week to consider council resolutions, laws and policies for the governing of the Saddle Lake Nation. A council of Elders sit in with the Chief and Council to give advice and counsel to the law makes of the Tribe. Members of the administration are called in when their program or department is being considered or when they have placed recommendations before the Council for their consideration and approval.
CLICK TO VIEW THE BCR PROTESTING Bill_c-45
Updated June 17.2016